Monday, November 27, 2006

Summer Scam

I was reading Ella's blog and her post got me thinking about an awful editor I had an experience with over the summer. I won't name any names but I definitely got burned. A few months ago, I replied to an ad for a magazine in my old town that was looking for freelance writers. I got an immediate response by email. The editor said he would like to meet me in person or do a phone interview to discuss my writing. I phoned him and he said he was impressed with my writing samples. He said the magazine was in dire need of writers and that he had 5 pieces he needed done immediately. I said I would do 3 just to be sure he liked my work. I said I would do them for free (to prove my writing was decent) and then he would pay me for future assignments. He sent me phone numbers and email addresses for the people he wanted me to interview. I spent HOURS upon hours on the phone and computer writing and interviewing for the articles. I submitted them early and he said he was thrilled. He asked if I would help copy-edit the magazine in addition to writing articles. I said yes and he said he would send me another assignment. Two weeks went by and I got worried. I sent an email- no response from the once quick to respond editor. A few more weeks passed and nothing. He never sent copies of the magazine (as he promised) and never returned my calls or emails. He got 3 articles written for nothing and now he's MIA. Yep, writing can be brutal and unfair. Sigh...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, ouch! That sucks. That is definitely a worse experience than mine. He got you all excited for nothing. People who don't respond are mean. :( I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully there'll be future editors for you that appreciate what they have!

Stephanie J said...

Gah! If I could, I'd march over and slap the MIA editor for you. Oh so annoying...